10 Foods to Avoid Feeding to Your Dog

10 Foods to Avoid Feeding to Your Dog

A dog will feast on any food that looks and smells delicious. As a pet parent, you shouldn’t allow them to have that kind of freedom.


Remember, there are foods that are 100% suitable for you. But these foods could be dangerous for your dogs.


If you’re not careful, your dogs may end up heading to the vet.


Here is the list of foods to avoid feeding to your canine buddy.


1. Alcohol


Alcohol shouldn’t be given to your dog even in the smallest of doses.


Food and beverages containing alcohol can cause these health problems:


  • Diarrhea
  • Vomiting
  • Tremors
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Decreased coordination
  • Abnormal blood activity
  • Central nervous system depression
  • Coma
  • And at the very worst, death


2. Bones (Cooked)


Avoid giving cooked bones to your dogs because these bones can splinter, shatter, and injure your dogs’ intestines.


Sharp bone pieces can puncture digestive organs and lead to internal bleeding. Dogs can also choke on bones or get their teeth damaged by chewing them.


3. Chocolate


Whenever dog owners are asked about which foods shouldn’t be fed to a dog, chocolates are often the first that comes to mind. There’s a good reason for that: chocolates contain theobromine, which is toxic to dogs.


If ingested, theobromine will affect your dog’s heart, guts, kidneys, and central nervous system. This will then lead to diarrhea, vomiting, restlessness, tremors, seizures, elevated heart rate, or death.


The smaller the dog and the darker the chocolate, the more dangerous the situation becomes.


4. Caffeine


Another contender in this list of foods to avoid is caffeine.


So, you may love your coffee all you want — just make sure you don’t give any to your furbabies.


Caffeine, if ingested, can damage your dog’s nervous system, as well as his heart and other organs.


5. Grapes / Raisins


Don’t let your dogs eat grapes and raisins — even just small amounts of them can place your dogs in serious danger.


Eating grapes and raisins cause kidney issues in dogs. Visible signs include shivers, lethargy, and a decreased appetite. In some cases, grapes and raisins have caused kidney failure and even death.


6. Macadamia Nuts


Macadamia nuts can cause weakness, tremors, vomiting, depression, and higher body temperature in dogs. You’ll see the signs within 12 hours of ingestion — and these signs tend to last for about 12 to 48 hours.


7. Milk / Dairy


Dogs don’t have significant lactase tolerance, hence, they aren’t able to digest milk and other dairy-based products properly.


Small doses won’t probably hurt, but you wouldn’t want your dogs to have digestive problems or trigger their food allergies, would you?


8. Onions, Garlic


Just leave the onions and garlic to the humans because they are foods to avoid feeding to your dogs.


Onions and garlic contain thiosulphate that can destroy your dogs’ red blood cells and cause anemia. These vegetables can also irritate your dogs’ stomach and gut.


Signs of ingestion include:


  • Vomiting
  • Weakness
  • Difficulty breathing


9. Xylitol


Xylitol, an artificial sweetener found in diet and sugar-free foods, should not be given to dogs.


Small amounts can already be toxic to them and lead to vomiting, lethargy, seizures, and loss of coordination. Xylitol can also lead to blood-clotting disorders and liver diseases.


10. Yeast Dough


Yeast can expand in a dog’s stomach, making organs tear or twist.  And as yeast dough rises and ferments, it produces alcohol that can also poison your dogs.


Farting and discomfort are some characteristics of a dog that has ingested yeast dough. More serious cases involve ruptures in your dog’s stomach and intestines.


Final Thoughts


While it can be tempting, you need to fight the urge to feed dogs just any food. If you forget which foods are safe and which are not, just check out this list of foods to avoid.


Remember, dogs may not be rational. But you, as their dog parent, are.


Always feed your dog the right food. And give them water — a fix of DoggieWater would be nice.


Have you fed your dog any of the abovementioned foods?


You can tell us what happened in the comment section below.


View all posts by

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *